Monday, June 25, 2018

30 Days of Financial Action -- Day 3: Resisting temptation

30 Days of Financial Action -- Day 3: Resisting temptation
The hat was so cute!

I LOVE a good hat and I only have two...what's one more?

It was sooooo cute!

I clicked on "add to bag" and put the hat in my virtual shopping cart. I browsed some more and added a meal planner to my cart. I added a sticker sheet. I browsed some more.

Then, I clicked on my shopping cart and saw the total.

NOPE! Not going to buy anything!

Does that happen to you too? You see a great shopping haul video on YouTube or a cute pic on Instagram and next thing you know, you're mindlessly adding things to virtual shopping carts and making purchases without really thinking about it!

Ugh!

Thankfully, I had a sudden flash of cash flying out of my bank account to make this purchase and I stopped myself. I had almost $100 of products in my shopping cart, and it would have been so, so easy to enter my billing details and check out!

Instead, I tried to remember my desire to be debt free, to own my own home, and go on amazing adventures around the globe. I can't do any of that if I'm mindlessly spending money.

Does this moment of resisting temptation mean I've been perfect lately? Nope. I did spend more than I planned at the grocery store two days ago -- largely because I took my son with me and that almost always means going off-list. And, I did buy take away coffee last night and the night before on my way to work.

Overall though, I've been doing pretty well with minimizing my spending the past two weeks. And, since that blip a few days ago, I've been even more conscious of my spending habits. Last night, I almost went to Subway on my way to work for a sandwich, but instead, I remembered all those off-list items I'd purchased at the grocery store and found something in my freezer to take to work. And, instead of getting a snack from a convenience store on my break at work, I packed the second half of a smoothie which I'd stashed in my freezer two days ago.

My spending habits aren't perfect, but I'm trying and I'm doing better at curbing mindless spending and avoiding temptations.

How about you? How often do you cave in to temptation?

Other posts in this series:



No comments:

Post a Comment