Monday, May 27, 2024

Audacious Goals -- Percentage hacking my way to home ownership

A Victorian house overlaid with the text Audacious Goals Percentage hacking my way to home ownership

I have wanted to be a homeowner for a long time, but to be totally honest, I've frequently placed my energy on other things with home ownership as a back of mind aspiration. Twice I've given it a lot of focus though . . . until I let other things take over my mental space.

I think part of my issue has come down to not having a plan. Or having a plan with steps that are too grandiose and too difficult to mentally comprehend and achieve. 

Today, I was thinking about my home ownership desires and, more broadly, about Dan Harris's book, 10% Happier. I started to wonder if I could approach becoming a home owner through a series of steps based on percentages. 

If you don't know, Dan Harris is a news reporter who had a panic attack giving a national broadcast and decided something in his life had to change -- ultimately, he wanted to feel happier, but that was too vague and too big of a goal. He decided that feeling only 10% happier was achievable and set out to do that which led to writing a book about his experience. While the book goes into a lot of detail about meditation, Buddhism, anxiety, and so on, I think his idea of trying to be 10% happier can be applied to many other things, including incremental steps towards home ownership.

It got me thinking, what can I do 10% more or less of this week to push me closer to my goal? 

Just a few of the many things that came to mind:

  • Pay 10% more with every debt payment
  • Replace 10% of my coffee and soda drinking with water, and better: replace ALL of my purchased beverages at work with water from the water station at work (thus, it would be no added water on my household water bill!)
  • Put 10% more of my next paycheck into savings
  • Spend 10% more time every day on my Etsy and Mercari shops (with the goal of selling more)
  • Spend 10% more time every day working on finishing my networking e-book for shy, anxious, introverts
  • Use 10% less of household and hygiene products (as long as doing so doesn't impact their effectiveness)
  • Figure out how to use 10% less energy to lower my electric bill
I had many other ideas come to mind, but these are the ones that felt most readily and easily doable. 

Only 10% over the next week won't make a huge impact, but I believe it will compound over time as the weeks go by. Notice that I didn't say months or years -- frankly, right now, thinking about habit changes and goals over the course of months and years sounds too big and too hard. But, a few weeks? That's easy. 

My goal isn't a huge home, but the housing market fluctuates a lot, so I'm not getting too tied up on details other than knowing I want at least:
  • Two bedrooms and two bathrooms
  • A patio or yard that's about 100 square feet for a small sitting area and a small garden
  • A lot of natural light
  • Close to public transportation
I don't feel like that's asking too much of myself and I do think it is achievable, even as it feels like life is more and more expensive and it's harder and harder to get by. 

What incremental changes have you made towards achieving your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment